In light of the new legislation enacted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in January 2013, the Optometric Protector Plan reached out to carrier partners to provide HIPAA HITECH Data – Breach Cyber Liability compliance for clients. All practices must be compliant with the new HIPAA HITECH laws by September 23, 2013.
Tampa, FL (PRWEB) May 29, 2013
The Optometric Protector Plan is now offering Cyber Liability Insurance to the optometric community in a continuing effort to offer the comprehensive insurance solutions to clients. The new HIPAA HITECH rule enacted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in January 2013 greatly enhances a patient’s privacy rights and strengthens the ability to enforce the HIPAA privacy and security protections, regardless if the information is being held by a health plan, a health care provider or one of their business associates. Penalties have increased for noncompliance based on the level of negligence with a maximum penalty of $1.5 million per violation.
All practices must be compliant with the new HIPAA HITECH laws by September 23, 2013, which includes:
- Policies and Procedures
- Workforce Training
- Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Incident Response Plan & Response Team
- HIPAA/HITECH Compliance Audits
- Business Associate Agreements
- Obligations When Breach Occurs
- Federal/State Law Breach Notification Requirements
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standards
The OPP partnered with a carrier that provides clients with Data Breach Services and Programs focused on reducing incidents and claim costs, and offers clients an insurance policy that will provide coverage and risk management services.
Cyber Liability / Data Breach Protection Policy Highlights:
- Privacy Liability
- Privacy Notification Expense
- Regulatory Liability – HIPAA/HITECH Fines & Penalties
- Network Security Liability
- Media/Website Liability
- Public Relations & Crisis Management Expense
- Credit Monitoring Expense
- Legal & Forensic Expense
- Theft Resolution Services
- Theft Resolution Services
Risk Management Services
Online Compliance Materials
Federal and state compliance materials regarding data security, data breaches, and data privacy including:
- Quick Tips on Many Subjects
- Summaries of Federal/State Laws
- Links to Statues & Regulations
- Sample Policies & Procedures
- Continuing Updates & Electronic Notification of Significant Changes to the On-line Materials
Monthly Newsletters & “Instant Alerts”
- “Instant alerts” sent by email for events that require immediate attention.
- Newsletters sent by email, learn about changes in federal and state laws regarding data security, data breach, and data privacy issues.
Expert Support On-Line
Expert support from consultants/attorneys on data security issues, including:
- Health Care & HIPAA Compliance Issues
- Data Breach Prevention Issues
- Data Security Best Practices
- Computer Forensic Issues
Step-by-Step Procedures to Lower Risk
Procedures and on-line forms help you:
- Understand the scope of “Personal Information” (PI)
- Determine where PI is stored
- Collect and/or Retain the minimum amount of PI as required for business needs
- Properly destroy PI that is no Longer Needed
- Implement an Incident Response Plan
- Online Training Programs
- Employee Training Bulletins & Posters
- Webinars for Privacy Compliance and IT Staff
- Audio and PodCast training for Managers and/or Employees
Handling Data Breaches
Guidance provided to:
- Help prevent Data Security Incidents
- Respond to a Data Breach
About the Optometric Protector Plan
Created in 1973, The Optometric Protector Plan has continually enhanced program coverage’s in order to meet the ever changing coverage needs of the eye care profession. The OPP program offers a full range of professional insurance products for optometrists, opticians and ophthalmologists, ophthalmic technicians as well as insurance for optometry students and faculty. Coverage is available nationwide through our dedicated network of agents chosen for their knowledge and expertise in order to provide you with superior service.
About B&B Protector Plans Inc.
B&B Protector Plans Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Brown & Brown, Inc. headquartered in Tampa, Florida, specializing in the development and administration of innovative national insurance programs for niche markets. B&B Protector Plans Inc. is represented by the finest insurance agents in the country who specialize in creating customized, comprehensive professional liability / malpractice and business insurance solutions. With access to multiple alternative insurance markets, from Admitted to E&S (Excess & Surplus), our programs partner with insurance carriers that are financially strong and show long-term commitment to the industry.